Merdeka Run 2008 (Post Race Report)

On: Sunday, August 24, 2008

This year's Merdeka run saw some 1,000 participants taking part. We arrived early to secure a good parking slot. It wasn't until 630am that the organizers and other participants started turning up. After registration, we had our routine warm-up before heading to the toilet to relieve ourselves. Fortunately the nearby post office had its doors opened for us. At around 730am, we were all forced into an enclosed parking lot with people distributing the Jalur Gemilang in the spirit of Merdeka. A few minutes later, we were released and adjourned to the starting line. After some warm-up exercises and some words of encouragement to keep the runners spirit high, we were flagged off at around 745am.
The first 3km was a quicker than my normal pace as I reached the Jalan Larut junction at about 15mins. We were surprised to be forced to stop for an convoy of police trucks at the junction there. The running crowd was gathering and loud jeers were heard as we forced our way halfway through the convoy. The unexpected stop did affect my rhythm slightly as I tried to slow down a bit to avoid the occurence of side stitch and shin splint. Luckily none of this occured and I was able to resume my normal pace for the remaining duration of the race. As I reached the 8km mark after Citibank, I tried to pick up the pace slightly and I was overtaking quite a few people after 9km at the Esplanade. Finally I made it to the finish line in a time of 57:56:40 which was slightly above my target of 55mins and PB of 57:42 for 10km. But to be fair the overall distance which I had mapped using the mymaprun software was showing 10.4km, therefore I had no much complaints.
Overall it was a decent outing with a good spirit of Merdeka. However better traffic control at several junctions along the race could have made our run a lot less stressful.
The Avagotech runners in striking red colors.

The members of PAC, Kazuo, Andrew, me and Alvin (From left).

Yeang Chieng Nam claiming 4th place in the Men's Senior Veteran category. Congrats and well done!

Finisher's medal for participants finishing within the 90min time frame.

People who read this post also read :



8 comments on "Merdeka Run 2008 (Post Race Report)"

kazuolim said...

Hi, Shaun. You are fast. Great update! :-)

It was a great run overall! The most important thing that the organizer must be considerate is in term of traffic.

The traffic coordination was terrific. Runners have to run with a moving cars along the road, probably is my country culture. Welcome to Malaysia!

Hopefully, they can improve their traffic coordination in any future run and must proliferate to all the runs that anyone organized.

I'm happy with my record for this 10km run.

Looking forward for Penang City Run which will be held on 19th October 2008 as Shaun had shared out here in his blog.

Shaun, we must train harder and get ready for more runs to come. I'm sure we will made it.

Shaun Yap said...

Hi Kazuo, u did great! You are now officially an under-50 10km runner. Got to take me some time to reach there.
You got a great chance of making the top 10 for the City Run. Just need to keep up the good work & training. All the best.

kazuolim said...

Hi, Shaun. Thanks for the encouragement. We must train hard to achieve our goal. Yes! Ganbatte!

VetRunner said...

Hi, Shaun,

I am vetrunner, friend of Lim Chin Leong
The distance measured 10.1km using garmin 305..

Shaun Yap said...

Hi Vetrunner, thanks for the comment. As expected there will be some variance of +/-0.5km using the mapmyrun software. I guess you can't go wrong with GPS. I will check again for the City Run route using my Garmin 200.

zulhassan said...

why there is no water station at all ??? Tension.

Shaun Yap said...

Yes, I was expecting some refreshments at either 5km or 6km but to my amazement there was none.

kazuo said...

Merdeka run having such a poor organizer. They should be considerate to all participants by having at least one drinking station.

Moreover, they should plan to start the run earlier to compensate back the late arrival of those YB.